Following a telephone conference with Silver Command I’m writing to inform you all of the likelihood of severe flooding over the next few days.
· Met Office predicts rain commencing at midnight tonight through until 6pm on Mon 24th. Particular intensity is expected between 0300 and 0600 tomorrow morning.
· Environment Agency expect to be issuing severe flood warnings in the next few hours and/or early hours of tomorrow. They are not yet able to predict the specific locations but advise that the same places will be hit again as were flooded in July and Nov. Axminster was specifically mentioned as was the Exe Valley.
· Travel in certain place is likely to be difficult and dangerous especially at night. Highways Agency is concerned not only about significant road flooding but the possibility of dropping temperatures after Xmas Day, with the possibility of icing.
· Network Rail are anticipating closing the line into Exeter in anticipation of the Exe bursting its banks again.
· DCC is ramping up to provide rest centre service if needed.
· I expect that #devonaware will be used again to communicate by lead emergency services. BBC Devon’s Twitter feed was also useful last time and as before EDDC will try to contribute useful info and links through its own Twitter feed.
· It’s the holiday season so all services will not be at capacity and therefore resources will be limited and very stretched, including any help EDDC can provide……………………
For more information on how to prepare or deal with flooding, click on the link below: